We rely on the postal service day in and day out but how many times have you ever thought to thank your mail carrier? Living outside of Petoskey’s city limits I’ve seen them driving through rain, snow and mud. In town I’ve seen them walking tirelessly through the streets to deliver the mail on time day in and day out. They are often dressed for the weather they come and go like clockwork.
Have you ever thanked your mail carrier? To be honest I’ve said thank you when they’ve driven packages up to the house but that’s about it. Our mail carriers are awesome. There are two that alternate on our rural route and they often bring packages up to the house and even help me carry them into the house if needed. I am very thankful for them and their service.
Today, February 4th 2019 is National Thank a Mailman Day. I’ve put together a list of easy and unique ways you can thank you mail carrier throughout the year!
- Say thank you. Yes, it’s that easy and I’m sure they don’t hear it as often as they’d like. Delivering the mail in Michigan weather cannot possibly be the easiest job out there so a simple thank you goes a long way!
- Write them a thank you note or letter. If you don’t see your mail carrier on a daily basis this is a great way to let them know you appreciate them delivering your mail and packages everyday.
- Gift them a gift card to a local coffee shop or store. Mail carriers aren’t allowed to accept cash gifts but are permitted gift cards up to $20 in value. Make sure you make the gift card and/or envelope obvious so they don’t leave it behind when making their delivery.
- Leave your mail carrier a bottle of water or sports drink type beverage. During the summer months driving the dusty back roads and walking the long mail routes in town can be tiring. Write a thank you note and attach to the drink letting them know how much you appreciate them.
- Leave your mail carrier a snack. Make some homemade treats or heck, even prepackaged store bought snacks would work. Let them know they are appreciated.