It’s finally March and spring break is only weeks away. It’s heard to believe that winter will soon be over and we’ll have the boat out of storage in only a few short months! Almost everyone I know looks forward to spring break. Most families have trips to Florida or other warm weather destinations planned. My daughter was just lamenting the other day asking why we weren’t going to Florida because most of her friends were. We were fortunate enough to spend a week in Mexico just a few months ago so that was our spring break. Fortunately our winter has not been intolerable and most days the last few weeks we’ve actually seen the sun countless times. Today is even sunny and gorgeous and I’m totally soaking up the extra sunshine.
If you’re not planning a spring break trip this year, I’ve put together a list of spring break staycation ideas. Some are free whereas others might cost a bit but even just a quick overnight trip somewhere to get out of town will help beat the winter blues.
Spring Break Staycation Ideas
- Day Trip to Traverse City: Yes, Traverse City is less than 2 hours away but it’s the perfect day trip. Walk around the mall and Target, take in a movie at Northern Michigan’s IMAX theater, check out the Great Lakes Children’s Museum, walk around downtown and then enjoy lunch and/or at one of the unique downtown eateries.
- Plan an Overnight Staycation at Stafford’s Crooked River Lodge in Alanson. Crooked River Lodge is even offering Spring Break Staycation specials. Between letting the kids swim in the pool, take a quick day trip to Mackinac City, enjoy lunch and check out the awesome blue ice and The Headlands. Come back and enjoy dinner at Bob’s Place in Alanson.
- Day Trip/Overnight Trip to Grand Rapids. There is SO much to do here. My kids love the Frederick Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park. It’s a fun getaway for everyone to enjoy and only a few hours away. Love the zoo? John Ball Zoo opens for the season in the just a few days and has lots of great exhibitions for everyone to enjoy. Make sure to pack a jacket just in case the weather is cool. Have younger kids? Definitely check out the Grand Rapids Children’s Museum!
- Avalanche Bay Waterpark. Want to stay local and get out of the house? Take the kids to Avalanche Bay for the day. My kids love Avalanche Bay and can easily occupy themselves for hours without interruption. I love that you can bring in snacks too!
- Movies & Bowling. Take in a 25¢ Saturday morning movie at the beautiful Harbor Springs Lyric Theater on Main Street and then grab lunch at Northern Lights Recreation Sassy Loon Bar & Grill and then an afternoon of bowling and arcade games.
- Plan a Winery Tour. This staycation doesn’t involve the littles but is still a great staycation idea! Find a designated driver and spend the afternoon discovering our region’s Bay View Wine Trail. Visit over 10 local wineries located right here in the Walloon, Petoskey and Harbor Springs area!
- Visit the Library. BothPetoskey Public Library and Charlevoix Area Library have wonderful facilities and awesome kid friendly selections. Petoskey Library will be hosting an Easter Egg Hunt on March 31st. Charlevoix Area library also hosts a Story Time as well as other activities for children’s ages 0-Teen.
Are you planning on staying home this spring break? Give us some more staycation ideas!