I love soup on a cold winter day. Nothing beats skiing or sledding with the kids for a few hours and then coming home to a delicious hot and feeling bowl of homemade soup! Soup makes for an easy meal, feeds a crowd and there are so many wonderful recipes out there to try!
Mid-December my husband and I started the Keto diet. I am not a huge fan of the word ‘diet’ though, I like to refer to it more as a lifestyle. I had heard about it through friends and didn’t think much of it. Another friend mentioned it in December and I started reading up on it. I was intrigued and decided to give it a shot. Fast forward to mid-January and we are both holding strong and loving it.
I love trying out new recipes and this one looked so easy AND delicious. If you’re not familiar with Keto, it’s primarily no carbs, lots of lean proteins. Dairy is ok as are most vegetables and some fruits. This hearty soup recipe is perfect for those following Keto or as a stand alone with some warm crusty homemade bread!
Hearty Bacon & Cheeseburger Soup
- 1 pound of lean ground beef, turkey or vension burger
- 10 slices of bacon, cooked & diced
- 4 C. beef broth
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 C. sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 C. cream (I used Half & Half)
- salt & pepper to taste
- chives for garnish (optional)
- In a large dutch oven brown the burger with the onion and garlic, drain grease.
- In a separate medium saucepan, melt the butter and add in the beef broth, tomato paste and cream cheese. Heat on low-medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin and cream.
- Pour the mixture over the browned burger.
- Add in the shredded cheese, stirring until melted.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Let the soup simmer on low-medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Do you have a favorite winter soup recipe? We’d love to hear about it in the comments!