Winter is in full swing here in Northern Michigan and Petoskey’s Downtown annual Winter Carnival is about a month away. I love our Northern Michigan summer’s but winters can also be awesome, even for people like me who are freezing all the time. Between skiing, snowboarding, sledding, ice skating, snowmobiling and other fun winter activites, Northern Michigan is a virtual playground for us Northerners and out-of-towners alike.
Petoskey’s annual Downtown Winter Carnival is the perfect weekend to make a trip up north. If you love winter, the Petoskey area has tons of activities. During the course of Winter Carnival, the Petoskey Winter Sports Park hosts a multitude of events for kids AND adults. Many local downtown business’s, including Grandpa Shorter’s also get in on the action for offering sales and in-store specials. Winters can sometimes be extremely long here in Michigan but we love trying to make the best of it!
Petoskey’s annual Winter Carnival has been going on since 1928. During that time the Winter Sports Park was set up a bit differently than it was today but the focal point with the 1/4 mile long toboggan slide!
Petoskey Downtown Winter Carnival Events and Highlights
Thursday, February 15th:
- Downtown Wine & Dine Progressive Dinner, 6pm: Enjoy a Progressive dinner a various downtown eateries including Petoskey Cheese and Stafford’s Perry Hotel.
Friday, February 16th:
- Chocoholic Frolic, 3-7pm
- Little Traverse Bay Humane Society, Rock Out for Rescue, 6-9pm
- Winter Ghost Walk, 8pm
- Downtown sales
Saturday, February 17th:
- Kids Activities in Pennsylvania Park, 1-4pm: snowshoeing, snowman building contest and more!
- Ice Bar Celebration in Pennsylvania Park, 1-4pm
- Live Ice Carving in Pennsylvania Park, 2pm
- Events at Winter Sports Park: bumpjumping contest, youth sledding competition, figure skating exhibition and more!
- Downtown sales
Sunday, February 18th:
- Scavenger Hunt with participating downtown business’s, 11-4pm
*For more information regarding the events listed, head over to the Petoskey Downtown website.