National Pistachio Day is right around the corner, are you ready to celebrate? To be honest, I didn’t realize that pistachios had their own holiday. That being said, I guess I’m not to surprised though. Ice cream, cookies, waffles and more have their own special day so why not pistachios?
I love pistachios. They are a great snack and even my middle child enjoys them. I remember my grandparents buying them in bulk at the local supermarket when I was little and they were red. The dye would turn my fingers a faint red color and it took forever to crack some of them open.
Nowadays you can buy pistachios already shelled if you prefer and they are great as a quick snack or in a multitude of recipes. This weekend I made some homemade chicken tenders rolled in pistachios and seasoned with blackening seasoning. They were a hit!
This recipe doesn’t take long to make and also good for those of you trying to eat low carb. I did serve ketchup with ours (my youngest eats ketchup with everything) but you could also substitute a sugar free ketchup or BBQ sauce.
Pistachio Crusted Chicken Tenders
- 1 pound raw chicken tenders or 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts cut lengthwise into strips.
- 1 C. shelled pistachios (check your local grocer’s bulk section)
- 2 tsp. blackening seasoning
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 egg, whisked
- Dipping sauces (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Place the shelled pistachios into a food processor and pulse until crushed.
- Add the salt and blackening seasoning to the pistachios.
- Dip each chicken tender in egg and then in the pistachio mixture making sure to cover all sides.
- Place the coated chicken in a baking dish.
- Repeat with all the chicken tenders.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauces and a veggie on the side.
*Makes approximately 4-6 servings