Michigan is one of the top producers of craft beer in the country. With over 200 breweries, that number has doubled since 2010. It’s consistently ranked as one of the top four beer states in the nation. Many of the breweries incorporate Michigan’s abundant fruit crops into their brews, leading to innovation and variety that set them apart from the rest of the country.
You can get a taste of that in Northern Michigan at one of these seven local breweries. If you’re planning a color tour this fall, be sure to add a few of these places to your itinerary.
1. Beards Brewery of Petoskey is owned by two friends who share a love for beer. This small brewery emphasis quality and creativity. You can watch them brew while enjoying a pint from one of their 10 rotating taps.
2. Petoskey Brewing is located in the Old Brewery building that was once home to Petoskey Sparkle beer from 1898 to 1915. In 2012 Northern Michigan beer began flowing again inside the historic building. They currently have 13 beers on tap.
3.Mackinaw Trail Winery in Petoskey is also home to one of the area’s newest breweries. They have a rotation of eight beers on tap and two hard ciders.
4. Cheboygan Brewing Company A group of craft beer enthusiasts and history buffs re-established the Cheboygan Brewing Company in 2009. It had been shuttered since prohibition. They have more than 10 beers on tap, produced using original recipes and time-honored techniques.
5. Founded in 2015, the Lake Charlevoix Brewing Company brews eight flagship beers using water right from the Great Lakes. They have several seasonal beers as well. The brewery is housed in a building once used to by the Coast Guard to store ships.
6. Shorts Brewing Company in Bellaire is one of Michigan’s largest craft breweries. After opening in 2004, its bold, flavorful, creative beers quickly became well-known throughout Michigan. They produce over one hundred different beers.
7. Tunnel Vision Brewery at Pond Hill Farm grows their own ingredients for a true farm to barrel experience. They have five beers on tap that can be enjoyed at their Garden Cafe. They’re located in Harbor Springs.