Whether you like long, leisurely strolls on the beach or prefer something more daring and adventurous, Michigan is the perfect destination for sweethearts to relax and connect. This Valentine’s Day, consider skipping the candy and flowers and surprise your special someone with a visit to one of these top spots for romance.
1. Mackinac Island – There’s just something about being on an island that puts people in a state of bliss. Mackinac Island is even more charming than most with its horse-drawn carriages, Victorian architecture and view of the Mackinac Bridge and Straits. If you’re looking for a place to get away from the bustle of modern life, you’ll find it on Mackinac.
2. Harbor Springs – Travel and Leisure Magazine named Harbor Springs one of America’s most romantic cities. The town earned the title with its picturesque location on Lake Michigan, year round adventure including everything from hiking to snowboarding and The Tunnel of Trees on M-119. Mature trees lining the curvy, rolling road create a feeling of driving through a tunnel of foliage.
3. Big Bay Lighthouse Bed & Breakfast – Lighthouses are beautiful, mysterious and fascinate people with their nautical lore. If you’ve ever wondered what it might be like to spend the night in one, you can find out at the Big Bay Lighthouse B&B. Located in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, north of Marquette, on the shores of Lake Superior, the historic lighthouse offers guests a unique adventure away from the demands of everyday life.
4. Henderson Castle, Kalamazoo – You’ll feel like a king and queen when you spend the night in this 19th century American castle now welcoming guests as a bed and breakfast. The 10 guest room B&B was built in 1895 and towers majestically over the city. While there you can also relax at the castle’s day spa and enjoy gourmet meals at the on-site French restaurant.
5. Sunset at Good Harbor, Leeland – Voted by USA Today as one of the best places in America to watch the sunset, Leeland offers up beach goers a spectacular show every evening when the sun sets across the shinning waters of Lake Michigan. Locals say that it’s the backdrop of the Manitou Islands that really takes the sunset here over the top.
6. Overnight Dog Sled Adventure, McMillan – For couples who enjoy the outdoors and want adventure with a fresh twist, Nature’s Kennel in McMillan offers an overnight dog sled adventure. You’ll learn the basics of mushing, how to drive a dog team, care for the dogs and spend one night winter camping in a canvas tent heated with a wood stove.
7. Cliff Bell’s, Detroit – When you step into Cliff Bell’s, you step back into the glitz and glamor of the 1930s at this famous Detroit jazz club. The lavish, art-deco interior and people dancing to the jazz trio on stage will make you think you’ve wandered on to a classic film set.