I think winter is officially here in Northern Michigan. The last month, it felt like fall just arrived here and now there is snow on the ground. Us northerners woke up to at least 1-2 inches, if not more, of snow this morning. My morning drive to school was filled with anxiety as the roads were icy and cars were sliding all over. Me and winter driving simply don’t mix. As soon as I got home from dropping the kids at school I made my husband call a local tire place and take the van in to have the snow tires put on. Yep, it’s definitely winter here in Northern Michigan for the next several months.
With the weather being so cold lately I love making warm hearty meals in my slow cooker. Between working from home and busy after school activities with the kids I use our slow cooker several times a week.
This week I made a super easy and delicious semi-homemade chicken noodle soup. It’s so easy to make and only takes a few minutes and it’s perfect for the cold weather. All you have to do is sauté the veggies and then throw all the ingredients into the crockpot, turn on low and you’re all set for a healthy warm meal at the end of a busy day.
The secret of this easy meal? Store bought rotisserie chicken. I love using rotisserie chicken, especially if I’m short on time. They have really good flavor and if you keep an eye out at your local grocer, most stores mark their rotisserie chickens down later in the evening and they are great to have on hand for quick and easy recipes.
Semi-Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- 3-4 C. of rotisserie chicken, diced
- 1 C. of celery, chopped
- 1 C. of carrots, chopped
- 1 bunch of green onions, diced
- 4 C. of chicken broth (you can also substitute 4 chicken bouillon cubes and 4 cups of water)
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 tbs. parsley
- 2 C. of egg noodles, cooked
- Heat the 2 tbs. of olive oil in a medium size frying pan and sauté the green onion, celery and carrots for 5-10 minutes. I like to do this just to make sure the veggies are nice and tender once the soup is heated through.
- Add all the ingredients to your slow cooker. Turn on low and cook 4-5 hours. Add the cooked egg noodles about 1 hour before serving.
- Add a little more broth if needed.
*Makes approximately 5-6 servings
What is your favorite cold weather meal?