With it being the holidays I find myself Trying to slow down and enjoy the season as much as I possible can. With Christmas concerts to attend this week and holiday parties this weekend so our schedule is jam packed. I even have a holiday mitten swap coming up this Friday evening and was asked to bring a dish to pass or a dessert. I wanted some holiday themed and these yummy Hot Cocoa Cupcakes seem to fit the bill perfectly!
- 1 C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 C hot water
- 1/2 C cocoa powder
- 6 TBSP butter, room temp
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 C vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 C powdered sugar
- 1/2 C unsalted butter, room temp
- 3 TBSP whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 bag mini marshmallows
- 1 C mini chocolate chips
- 1 C crushed peppermint candy
- 1 bag small candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake paper liners.
- Whisk flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt in s medium bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk hot water and cocoa powder in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix the egg, vegetable oil, and vanilla until well combined.
- Add in the flour mixture, alternate with hot cocoa mix until there are no lumps.
- Using a large ice cream scoop the batter into the lined cupcake tins until they are 3/4’s filled.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven allowing cupcakes to cool in cupcake pan for 10 minutes.
- Take out of cupcake pan and place individual cupcakes on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cream the butter, peppermint extract and powder sugar until it looks light and creamy.
- If it doesn’t cream add several drops of the heavy whipping cream until it creams.
- Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak by taking a spoonful of frosting and turning the spoon upside down. If the frosting stays on the spoon it is ready if not then..
- Add more powder sugar 1/2 C at a time. Mix well.
- If ready scoop the frosting into a pastry bag with a round tip.
- Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting to the tip.
- Start by frosting on the outside edge of the cupcake working to the center of the cupcake.
- Push mini marshmallows onto the frosting.
- Add mini chocolate chips into the frosting.
- Sprinkle the crushed peppermint on top of the frosted cupcake.
- Add a small candy cane onto the side of cupcake with the top of the candy cane sticking into the frosting.