July 4th is almost upon us friends. It’s only 2 weeks away and today on the blog, I’ve put together a list of local Northern Michigan towns hosting patriotic events such as parades and fireworks! I for one, love the 4th of July. My birthday is July 3rd so I’m quite accustomed to celebrating this American tradition several days in a row.
This year will be the first year we won’t be attending the Petoskey 4th of July parade and fireworks. We’ve been attending them since 2002 when my husband started as a Public Safety Officer here in town. It’s quite the tradition and now that the kids are old enough to enjoy the fireworks we always try to go as a family, even if my husband is working which usually mean’s walking around in uniform and talking with everyone, we always try to meet up with him at the parade.
This year we will be making the trip up north to my in-laws. I’m kind of bummed, but I’m also excited to head north to Escanaba with my husband and kids for the long weekend and to try something new.
If you live here in Northern Michigan, you know how awesome our 4th of July events are whether you are out on the water or in town taking in the sites. If you are from out of town and looking for a fun weekend away with your friends and family this list will help you plan your holiday weekend getaway up north.
(Photo Credit: Petoskey News Review)
- Harbor Springs – Annual 4th of July Parade: 1pm on Main Street, downtown Harbor Springs. Fireworks start at 10pm (dusk). For information and other July 4th events in Harbor Springs head over here for more infomation.
- Petoskey – Annual 4th of July Parade: 6pm Mitchell Street, downtown Petoskey. I am partial to this parade. It’s in the last parade in the area, which means you can attend other local parades and events during the day and head to Petoskey in the evening. The Petoskey parade lasts about 1.5 hours and you can immediately walk down to the Waterfront Park below the Gaslight district and snag a seat for fireworks when the parade is over. Fireworks start at 10pm (dusk).
Both Harbor Springs and Petoskey have amazing 4th of July fireworks and you can watch both from one location!
- Bay Harbor – July 4th events start on Friday July 3rd at 8pm in the village of Bay Harbor with the Petoskey Steel Drum Band. Fireworks start at dusk over Lake Michigan. Fast forward into July 4th and Bay Harbor’s annual parade starts at 11am on Main Street in Bay Harbor.
- Boyne City – July 4th events also kick off on Friday July 3rd this year in Boyne City (have I mentioned I love that July 4th falls on a Saturday this making it a long weekend?!). The Grand Parade kicks off at 10am downtown Boyne City on July 4th with other events happening throughout the day. Fireworks end the day at 10:30pm (dusk), over Lake Charlevoix.
- Mackinaw City – Enjoy games throughout the afternoon on the Marina Lawn starting at 1:30 pm (located next to Shepler’s Ferry). Fireworks start at 9pm (dusk) over the State Dock.