With Easter only being a few weeks away and us planning on visiting the Easter Bunny at Grandpa Shorter’s in Petoskey, I thought it might be time to start researching creative ways to decorate Easter eggs. My kids are getting older (6, 7 and almost 9) but they still love decorating eggs every year. It also helps that we love to eat hard boiled eggs, otherwise I’d probably skip this activity entirely.
Growing up my mom and I would dye Easter eggs every year. She would always buy me one of the Paas Easter egg dyeing kits from our local grocery store. My mom wasn’t very crafty but she did her best to have fun. Do remember the Paas egg dyeing kits? They still make them and I see them in Walmart and Meijer around Easter. They usually come with several of those colored tabs and a few stickers, the usual egg decorating fair. All you have to add is the vinegar. This was the part I didn’t like, the stinky vinegar! WHY on earth did the kits have to use vinegar? I guess it probably had something to do with the colors and a chemical reaction or something along those lines.
But I digress, now that I have my own littles, I don’t think I’ve ever bought one of the Paas egg dyeing kits! With the invention of Pinterest and having other bloggers as friends I’ve found SO many other creative ways to decorate Easter eggs that we don’t need the store bought Paas kit!
Today on the blog, I’ve put together a list of 15 creative ways to decorate Easter eggs! Some are a little more messy than others but they are all fun and your eggs will turn out gorgeous!
First, you need to hard boil OR bake those eggs!
- Easy Baked Hard Boiled Eggs In the Oven from Candi Land – I love baking my eggs, no water needed and they turn out perfect every time!
- How to Peel Hard Boiled Eggs Easily from Housewife How-To’s – Do you have trouble peeling your hard boiled eggs? Sometimes I do and it drives me nuts! Learn how to peel them easily!
15 Creative Ways to Decorate Easter Eggs:
- Speckled Easter Eggs from Mom Foodie – So cute and unique!
- Kool-Aid Dyed Easter Eggs from Hey JenRenee – This is one of my absolute favorite ways to dye Easter eggs. It’s cheap (always a plus!) and super simple plus Kool-Aid smells so yummy!
- Feather Easter Eggs from Frugal Mom Eh – This is perfect for us outdoorsy folks. Elegant and simple all at the same time.
- Decoupage Easter Eggs from Happy Deal Happy Day – These use plastic store bought eggs and saves you time. Perfect if your family doesn’t like hard boiled eggs!
- Gold Easter Eggs From Cutefetti – Adorable and super easy to do!
- Shaving Cream Dyed Easter Eggs from Crafty Morning – I haven’t tried this technique yet, have you? I hear about it every year but Im a tad OCD when it comes to crafting….
- Tie Dye Easter Eggs from One Little Project – These are gorgeous and fun!
- Tie Dyed Silk Easter Eggs from Jodeze Home and Garden – How cool are these? Learn how to dye Easter eggs using used silk ties!
- Dye Easter Eggs with Rice Food Coloring from It All Started with Paint – I’d never heard of this method, how cool!
- Cool Whipped Dyed Easter Eggs from Passion for Savings – I love this idea. Plus, it’s edible versus using shaving cream.
- Making Rock Easter Eggs from Savings Lifestyle – A different and unique way to dye Easter eggs!
- How to Dye Eggs Naturally from Mommy Potamus – Skip the store bought food coloring and learn how to dye your Easter eggs naturally!
- Sharpie Easter Eggs from Cutesy Crafts – I have a legitimate Sharpie addiction and I’d love to put them to use decorating Easter eggs!
- Colorful Easter Eggs with Melted Crayons from Jenna Burger Design
- Baking Soda Easter Eggs from Mess for Less
Do you plan on decorating Easter eggs this year? What method will you be using?