It’s officially football season and with football comes yummy foods like snacks and appetizers. I love football but I love food even more. Every Saturday afternoon during the fall my husband can be found watching college football and rooting for his favorite team. His brother played football at Central Michigan University and my uncle played football for the University of Michigan. Football runs in our family so it’s in our blood.
We love inviting friends and family over on Sunday afternoons to enjoy the game and I love making and sharing food with everyone. I enjoy serving simple food that is sure to please a crowd. Football potlucks are even better. When everyone brings a dish to pass we can all share and enjoy what everyone has made!
This past weekend I made walking tacos. I’ll be the first admit I’d never made them before. Weird, I know! I’ve enjoyed them at the ice rink during hockey tournaments and they’re so good! Have you tried them? If not, you must! They are probably not the healthiest for you but they are delicious and a great twist on regular old fashioned tacos AND they’re portable which makes them doubly delicious!
Walking Tacos Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 oz taco seasoning, any brand
- 1/2 cup – 3/4 cup water
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomatoes
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- green onions
- any other additional taco toppings
- mini Doritos snack bags (you can buy them in a 6 pack at your local grocery store), Frito Corn Chips would also work great!
- Brown the onion and ground burger and drain the grease
- Stir in the taco seasoning and 1/2-3/4 cup of water into the burger. Cover and let the taco seasoning simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the taco meat has finished cooking, remove from heat and let your guests make their walking tacos. Give each a bag of chips to open and gently crush.
- Top the crushed chips with taco meat, lettuce, cheese and other favorite taco toppings and enjoy!
Don’t feel like cooking? Head into Grandpa Shorter’s on Saturday, October 7th from 11am-4pm during the infamous Michigan versus Michigan State football game and cheer on your favorite team with us!
Shop for team apparel and goodies while enjoying some delicious walking tacos! The football game will be broadcasted live through our store stereo system – you won’t miss a play! We know how to tailgate!